10 years ago
Sunday, October 26, 2008
The Ends of Beginnings
With every beginning, there is an ending slowly fading into the past. With the beginnings of childhood come the ends of infancy. With the beginnings of adulthood comes the end of our carefree childhood. The ends of adulthood lead on to the "distinguished" age. Each of these different periods in our lives brings with it unique challenges, fears, and excitements. Looking back to my elementary years, my only fear was having attention brought on me. Little things that seem so trivial now, were major moments then. What does that tell me? That some of the things that seem so significant at the present, will one day fade into hazy recollections, filing away into the recesses of my mind along with my other past memories. Little wisps of smoke, showing themselves occasionally, to let me know my memory is still at my command. At times I wonder if I should mourn each passing. Each age gets harder, with more complex difficulties. Sometimes I feel like Peter Pan, never wanting to grow up and have the hardships, disappointments, mistakes, and responsibilities that come with it. As a child, there are really no ways to seriously mess up. Yet, would I be content just staying, never progressing? It may seem simpler to never move ahead, but human nature tends to in no way be pacified by the present. It is always looking forward to a time where there will be better, new, and exciting adventures. So I will not mourn, but I will hold my memories close. I cannot stay, I have to continue on. Sadness that I must grow up will occasionally hit me, but this is the way of life. I will with fondness wave goodbye to the ends of my past beginnings, and with hope and anticipation greet my new beginning. This is the way with everything, the dregs of ends leading on to bright new beginnings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Beautifully written. You have quite a talent. This reminds me of a saying at the end of Hope Floats:
Beginings are scary,endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Just give hope a chance to float up - and it will too.
I love what you have written!! You probably don't remember who I am, but I am your moms cousin. Aunt Alice and Uncle Roys daughter.
Kristina
Post a Comment