When Life hands me lemons, I say, "Ya, I like lemons. What else ya got??" Feeling pretty confident about handling the lemons, I become a little anxious when Life, taking my smug reply seriously, gives me a lemon tree. Yes, a tree. Not just a couple of lemons, easy enough to handle, but a full grown mountain of a specimen. My tree is placed front and center for every one to see, gossip about, and ridicule and his pleasure. Despairingly, I am at a loss. Harsh whisperings from my peers are tossed around by the wind, reaching me and influencing my subconscious mind. However, I finally come to the conclusion that it was MY question that caused it, and only I can face up to it. Sitting around, wallowing in self pity will get me nowhere, so I decide to make the best of my plight by creating lemonade! I squeeze the lemons, occasionally asking for help from professional lemonade creators, and essentially do the best I can. At last my creation is finished. It is time to taste the tantalizing liquid gold. I slowly raise the chilled glass to my lips and with excited anticipation take a swig. GROSS!! My bitter masterpiece is a failure. With a heavy heart I go through the tedious process of making my drink fit for human consumption. From every side comes DUN DUN DUN.....advice. Some say less sugar; some say more sugar. Some say, "What the heck were you thinking??? You should have made lemon meringue!!!" With all this "counsel", my head swims. I know what I should have done: not asked the pompous question in the first place. But that is water under the bridge, and I must now face the lake I have created. I realize that, while their advice may be valid for their trees, they do not have my lemons. They have oranges, grapes, or cherries. I can NOT make lemonade out of oranges, grapes, or cherries. The only real guidance comes from Life. Therefore, I do what should have been done in the beginning. I turn to Life, arriving like the prodigal child, and humbly ask for assistance. With the patience and love of one that truly knows me, Life gently leads the way. Through the help of Life, I will not only prune my lemon tree into something respectable, but also produce the best lemonade known to mankind. It will take awhile. I mean, after all, my tree is still with me. But Life's calming presence is like a soothing balm, and I know everything will once again be alright.
10 years ago



5 comments:
Wow Brit that was awesome. You are such a great writer!!!!!
Those are some deep thoughts-great analogy. Hey do you like LemonHeads? They are my favorite! Sour with just enough sweet, but if you overendulge they KILL your tongue and it hurts to eat anything else for awhile.
We all have lemons to deal with from time to time, but could you please make me some lemonaid I love it???
Awesome! I can relate...which reminds me! I meant to talk to you at my parents the other day but we were so dang busy I didn't see you leave! We'll have to catch-up sometime... :)
pretty profound. You do have a lemon tree. But you are doing great at making something out of all those lemons. When you master the recipe will you pass it along to me.
Post a Comment