Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Boots are best broken in...

I decided I was going to run away this morning...Sometimes it seems easier than facing the decisions I have to make as I grow up. Just run away, get as far away from MY life as I possibly can. I could start college somewhere else, get a job, leave behind everything. A fresh start....A new start...NEW...I love that word. It speaks to me...

Like a new, fresh piece of paper, begging me to put words and flavor on it.
A new planner, perfect for recording and organizing my hectic life.
A new friend, exciting and easy to get along with.
A new outfit, one that gives me confidence.
A new eraser, perfectly innocent, not knowing the mistakes it will face.
A new pair of socks, soft and thick, padding the ground as I walk.
A new snow, serene and white, with the calming silence that always follows it's fall.
A new day...just like the one I had before me.....

With that last thought streaming through my head, I rolled on to the end of my bed and faced the NEW day with a smile...I knew I should get moving. If I was going to run away, then I would at least need to pack some clothes....A fresh start yes, but not that fresh. My eyes wandered over to my closet, jammed with books, blankets, shoes...and that's when I saw them: my boots. I love my boots. Not my beat up riding boots, but my mahogany Justin's, with pink designs on the top, and just enough heel to make my legs look long...ok longer. I wear them all the time now, now that I have them broken in. You see, boots are painful when they...when they, are...new...It is not until you have worn them day after day, blister after blister, through the snow and sunshine, that they finally mold to your feet, and become part of you. Boots are best broken in...

.....Oh......

I knew it then. I got out of bed, pulled my boots on, and walked out that door without looking back. I faced today head-on. I knew I could do it, because you see....boots are best broken in.


4 comments:

provobaileys said...

Life is better broken in, you are right. It may not be the best life but it is your life and I believe that it is worth living, and it is the only one you have. Do make the best of it. (words I live by)

Chera said...

I love your prose. You do have a talent and are doing a good job of using it.

Kris said...

Wow!! I love that. Thank you

The King Family said...

You are such a good writer! I'm glad you decided not to run away :)